August 7, 2013
This summer I was able to experiment with dinner in a way I do not ordinarily do. As Kevin was in Kansas City for the summer, I was able to eat meals that centered on lots of fresh fruits and vegetables with an occasion lean protein thrown in. Kevin is by no means a picky eater; he just has a simple palate. But when I sent him a picture of this Strawberry and Grilled Chicken Summer Salad, he was jealous.
And when I made this again for him once he came home, he gobbled this salad down! It seems as though the bacon was enough to make the salad quite enticing. But for me, it’s the bleu cheese and walnuts that make this salad simply irresistible.
Inspiration for this salad came from Mimi’s Café’s Bleu Cheese and Walnut Salad. This is one of my all-time favorite salads that I have wanted to re-create at home, so when I came across a warm red wine vinaigrette dressing recipe on I Heart Naptime, I knew it was meant to be.
I topped off the salad with a sliced herb and balsamic vinegar marinated grilled chicken breast. But this could very easily be left off for those vegetarians out there. But add it for a perfectly balanced dinner salad.
And don’t forget those strawberries. They are delightful.
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lb, skinless chicken breasts
- 15 oz bag of baby greens or baby spinach
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 5 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup blue cheese
- Bacon drippings
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp sugar
- Combine and marinate chicken in parsley, rosemary, thyme, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes, up to one day.
- Grill chicken until chicken is cooked and juices run clear.
- Cook bacon until crisp and crumble. Save drippings.
- Combine diced onion, mustard, red wine vinegar, water and sugar in bacon drippings. Stir and heat to warm.
- Toss greens with dressing.
- Add walnuts, cheese, bacon and strawberries. Top with sliced chicken.