April 18, 2013
I love easy meals that you can put together quickly, yet taste like you’ve been slaving away in the kitchen all day. When in fact, you haven’t been in the kitchen all day; your slow cooker has.
And this is exactly what happens in our home almost every Sunday. I pop the ingredients into my Crock-Pot before heading to church in the morning, and by the time the lazy Sunday night comes around (because, let’s be real, I don’t want to ever do anything on Sunday nights), I know that there is a yummy, home-cooked meal waiting for us.
This chili is simple to make, yet with its wide array of flavors, it is anything but simple to the tongue.
Hope you can take a few minutes next Sunday morning to create this delightfully comforting Sunday night meal.
So here’s what you do:
Brown up a half pound of lean ground beef. Give it a few vigorous shakes of chili powder, cumin and pepper.
Dice up your green bell pepper, onion and garlic (I went a little crazy here with the garlic and used 3 cloves. I really like garlic).
Drain a can of kidney beans and toss it with the other ingredients into your slow cooker (this is where you could also add some cannellini beans. I like this addition, but Kevin isn’t a bean guy, so I left it out this time).
Spice it up! Shake in some more chili powder and add parsley, salt, basil, oregano, more black pepper, and hot pepper sauce. I used Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce.
Next, (I somehow didn’t get a picture of this) add about 19 ounces of canned tomato puree (I use about 2/3 of a 29 oz can. I put the remainder in a zip-lock bag and store it in the freezer). Alternatively, you could use two 10.75 ounce cans. This would just make it a slightly thinner chili.
Give it a good stir to get all those flavors mingling.
Now let it cook all afternoon long. Serve it up in two big bowls, and top it off with sour cream, cheese, green onions and toasted tortilla chips.
See? Didn’t I say that was simple to make? Easy peasy.
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- (Optional ½ can of cannellini beans)
- 2/3 of a 29 oz can of tomato puree
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Plus an extra few shakes of chili powder, cumin and black pepper
- Place the beef in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly brown. Give it a few good shakes of chili powder, cumin and black pepper as it cooks.
- Toss beef, onion, green bell pepper, garlic tomato puree, kidney beans, and optional cannellini beans into your slow cooker and then season with chili powder, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
- Stir it all up until it is well blended.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours. The longer it cooks, the thicker this chili will get.
- Serve in large bowls and top with optional shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced green onions, and tortilla chips or Fritos.