May 10, 2013
Kevin and I both love pizza. It really is our go-to choice when we are looking for something on a little on the unhealthy side :-). Ordering out for pizza can be a cheap, quick and easy option. But when making pizza yourself can be fairly simple, why not just make it at home! This lets you take complete command of your pizza options: you can make it healthier and (almost always) way more delicious!
I received a pizza stone for Christmas last year, and since then I’ve been making pizzas at every chance I get! It’s true that making pizza yourself takes WAY more time than ordering out, but you get the satisfaction of making a simply beautiful pie with fresh toppings and amazing crust.
The dough is what takes the most time (and a full tutorial on my favorite recipe is forthcoming). But making your own dough is so, so much better than store bought dough. So, I encourage you to try your hand at homemade pizza dough. I usually make a big batch of dough on a Saturday and then freeze the dough in portions. Then, on a weekday, I can just pull the dough out a few hours before dinner, and it’s ready to go by meal time.
I hope to have a monthly pizza post where I will talk about new sauces, toppings and dough that I try. To start, May’s pizza of the month is Bacon Chicken Ranch. This turned out heavenly. Melted in my mouth and put me into a pizza munching coma. You can’t go wrong with the bacon, chicken and ranch combination; whether on a sandwich or a pizza, these ingredients make a winning team. Add diced red and green onions, tomatoes and lots of cheese and you have a pizza for champions.
What to give this pizza a try?
Here’s what I did:
Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 500 degrees F.
While oven is heating, prepare your toppings. Get seasoned chicken breast and three strips of bacon (I used turkey bacon) cooking.
Dice one Roma tomato, 1/2 cup red onion, and 2-3 green onions. There should be about equal portions of each.
Once the chicken and bacon are cooked, place bacon on paper towel to soak up grease and chop chicken into bite sized pieces.
You’ll need 1/4 cup of ranch dressing. I combined ranch dressing mix with light sour cream, but you could also use Greek yogurt to make it healthier. Of course, store bought or homemade dressing works well too!
Shred 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
Crumble bacon. You should now have all your toppings ready to go!
Now it’s time to shape the dough! Prepare the working surface you will use to transfer the pizza to the oven. I use parchment paper that I have cut to roughly the size of my pizza stone. You could also use a pizza peel. Either way, sprinkle the surface with a bit of corn meal (I didn’t have corn meal, so I used polenta).
Shape your dough into a pizza! Dust a rolling pin with a little flour and gradually roll out the dough in all directions until you get your desired size and crust thickness. Roll up the edges a bit to form a crust.
Evenly spread the ranch. Place a bit of olive oil on the crust. This allows it to brown nicely.
Pile on the toppings! First the mozzarella cheese, then remaining toppings, saving the cheddar cheese for last.
Cheese it up with the cheddar!
I use a big wooden cutting board to transfer my pizza on to my now hot pizza stone.
Bake for 10-12 minutes. Then behold this golden beauty.
And that’s it, folks! Slice it up and enjoy!
- Pizza dough (homemade or store brought)
- 1/4 cup of ranch dressing
- 1 grilled seasoned chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven and pizza stone to 500 degrees F.
- Prepare all toppings.
- Cut out piece of parchment roughly the size of your stone (alternatively, use a pizza peel). Sprinkle parchment with cornmeal.
- Roll out pizza dough to desired size and thickness. Roll up edges slightly to form a crust. Brush crust with olive oil.
- Evenly spread ranch dressing over crust.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Evenly top pizza with chicken, bacon, tomato, red onion and green onion.
- Lastly, sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to now hot pizza stone in oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust has browned.